Treatment for Stroke
Stroke, also known as cerebrovascular accident (CVA), cerebrovascular insult (CVI), or brain attack, is when poor blood flow to the brain results in cell death. There are two main types of stroke:
- ischemic, due to lack of blood flow
- hemorrhagic, due to bleeding
The more common kind, called ischemic stroke, is caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain. The other kind, called hemorrhagic stroke, is caused by a blood vessel that breaks and bleeds into the brain. Both these conditions result in damage to the brain cells and are a medical emergency.
Symptoms of stroke are :
- Numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg (especially on one side of the body)
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Loss of vision
- Inability to walk, dizziness, loss of balance
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
Stroke is a condition of medical emergency but Ayurveda offers the best Post-stroke rehabilitation which helps individuals overcome disabilities caused by it. Ayurvedic treatment will last for a minimum of three to four weeks and patients show great improvement in the symptoms experienced. Treatments done may include Sirodhara/pichu, Abhyanga, Patrapotala swedam, Nasya, Vasti etc. depending on the condition at arrival. Internal medicines also form an integral part of treatment.